The Challenge(Due to security reasons I am unable to show you the actual project and have therefore renamed the terminology. This study will focus on just one section of the immense project.) The client had been using a bare-bones application to schedule important asset gaining events. A lot of their work had to be done manually. Not only did they need something more modern in style, they needed it to be faster, smarter, smoother and above all, accurate!
The ApproachI started with evaluating the overall usability and process of the current build. Then I conducted interviews with those in higher authority as well as individuals who would actually be using the new software. This was less about personas and more about mission specific needs. Thus, I took this information to my design team and we started the fun task of stickynote-whiteboard flowcharting. Through this practice I was able to come up with a "needs assessment" and start creating wire-frame mock-ups.
- Modernize the style
- Smart and quick navigation
- Integrate with other high profile programs
- Be scalable and dynamic
- Smart drag and drop for tasks
- Realtime updating
- Ability to save and load schedules
- Easily update tasks and task information
I came up with a simple, modern theme that was largely based on the Google Material Design assets. The final iteration you see is just one of the many types of color themes a user can choose from. The users lighting situation was always subject to change, thus, they needed a way to adjust the program for visual ease.
The left nav allows easy navigation between the module pages. The task section allows for quick review of each task that can be filtered, scrolled, and sorted. You are able to select a specific task and have it expand to see a more detailed version.
The information area is helpful for showing how the tasks fit into specific events and times, as well as, showing details of that event.
The schedule area is great for showing each event that you could add a task to, also the months, days, and times available. The schedule section time slot area can be zoomed in or out of to see as much or as little information as possible. Tasks are able to be smart dragged into the schedule time slot area and automatically fill the schedule with the correct information and time bars. Though, if you were quite sure of when you wanted the event to occur you are able to select month, day, and time within the task editor as well (the expanded view of each task).
Dynamically each section of the page can be minimized so that you can see more of the tasks or a maximized view of the schedule section. The dynamic nature of the program also allows for each section to stack horizontally or vertically depending on the device and resolution you are using.
WHO AM I
I currently reside in Texas, near the Austin, TX area. I have been in the artistic field for over 15 years and in that time I have garnered a lot of artistic experience and technical know-how.
I have honed my skills in user interface design, user experience, traditional art, digital design, illustration, 3D design (modeling, rigging, texturing, lighting and sculpting), as well as, storyboard design, storytelling, character creation, and game design.
Check out some of my work while you're here, and please consider contacting me if you like what you see. Thank you for stopping by!
- Bachelor of Science in Game Art & Design The Art Institute
- Designed UI/UX in corporate, and startup environments with experience in managing business objectives, consumer brand communication, conducting and interpreting market research and usability testing, and cross-team collaboration.
- Through user research and usability testing I was able to help design and create forward thinking user interfaces that helped improve user experience. This aided me in solving UX and visual design challenges with customer and user guidelines in mind.
- Able to design for multiple platforms (desktop, mobile, web, tablet, etc.).
- Able to work under pressure and thrive in fastpaced work environment while maintaining high quality results.
- Solid grounding UI/UX design, traditional art, 2D/3D art and modeling. Versatility to quickly adapt to different art styles. Skilled in creating textures/lighting of various styles realistic to stylized.
"Art is not a mirror to hold up to society, but a hammer with which to shape it." - Leon Trotsky
Your Email Address
Your Real Name
Subject Of Your Message
Please leave me a message